Tuesday, May 20, 2014

On To New Adventures!

About three years ago, I realized something. My youngest child was in high school and, the way time seems to fly by, it wouldn't be long before he would actually leave home for good. The thought scared me a little. I wasn't afraid to allow my kids to use their wings. I felt I was doing a good job with them. My concern was more for myself. You see, most of my identity at the time was wrapped up in my role as "mom". I did not want to be one of those parents who desperately tethers their kids to them instead of letting them carve out their own places in the world.

The solution was simple. Begin to take more time to work on me--my interests, my talents, my desires. I have a tendency to throw myself entirely into the job at hand, often with little thought to my wants and needs.

Parenting was like that for me. While the task did require doing some things for myself (mostly to hang on to sanity), I worked really hard to ensure my children had what they needed and at least some of what they wanted. Making money always took at backseat to parenting because I was determined to give them access to at least one parent. That's not an easy feat when you are single mom, and I did have a lot of help from family and friends along the way. Most days I felt as though the jobs I seemed to "fall into" to pay the bills and still be available to my children were not exactly where I wanted to be. There were usually enjoyable aspects to the jobs but none of them fulfilled me as much as parenting. They were helpful in one respect though: understanding what I wanted and did not want in a lasting career.

It is now three years later and my son will graduate from high school in just a few days. I can't say I have found my niche, although I can say I know myself much better than I did back then. I have learned to value who I am in all my giftedness, and I have to confess I like what I see!

I am smart. I have a gift for both the written word and spoken language. I am highly sensitive to the world and people around me and I use this ability on a daily basis to make my days run much more smoothly. I am a terrific problem solver. I have made wonderful new friends along the way who have given me greater opportunities to make my voice heard in the world. This journey of discovery has been such a blessing to me!

I still can't say I know exactly where I am going. I do know I want to make the most of my gifts and talents! I am open to the opportunities that come my way, and I am watching for them. While one door to my life is closing, I choose to see the world for its possibilities.

On to new adventures! May we always look for them. May we always be open to them. May we be thankful for the ability to become something new and infinitely precious!

1 comment:

  1. Bravo!!! WOW what a way to manifest the experience of kids leaving the nest my friend You rock!!! Ever so healthy!!! Reminds me of that poem from Khalil Gibran that says something like our children are not our children...one of my faves! I am so happy to be part of this new beginning and watch what your heart is going to guide you too!

    ReplyDelete