Sunday, June 7, 2009

Signposts Found!

I am not a patient person. Even though I feel I've received the go ahead from my Source to rest for a while, it hasn't been easy to do. I'm still looking for signposts to indicate my direction in life. Yesterday was a banner day for signposts! I'm rather in awe of it!

Let's start with the second signpost. One of my favorite self-help gurus is Dr. Wayne Dyer. Over the years, books like The Power of Intention, You'll See It When You Believe It, and Manifesting Your Destiny have helped mold some of my beliefs. He recently came out with a book called Excuses Begone. As I receive Dr. Dyer's online newsletter, I have been aware of this new book as well as a new PBS special based on it for quite some time. I missed the program when it came out last weekend on my local station (or was way too tired to stay up for it). Coincidentally, I found out it was playing this weekend on the other Georgia public television station I get on my cable. The weird part about the whole thing was I had made a mental note to watch it at 7:00pm on Saturday night. Most of the time, my making a mental note of something has absolutely no impact on my actually doing it. I forget anyway. Yesterday afternoon, I managed to find a movie on SciFi that intrigued me, so I watched it to its conclusion. I began channel hopping again hoping to find something else. Then I looked at the clock, which read 7:00. Somehow, my 43-yr-old brain made the connection that there was a program I wanted to watch--Dr. Dyer!

I enjoyed listening to his perspective on the excuses we use to keep us from following our life's purpose. He talked about obstacles such as "I can't afford it", "I'm too busy", "It will take a long time" and "It's too risky" that we use every day to limit what we do. (These happen to be the excuses I personally use.There are others.) As Dr. Dyer continued to talk, I realized that this whole process I am involved in (quitting my job and trying to find my true purpose in life) is my attempt at giving up the excuses that have imprisoned me for so long! By quitting my 24/7 teaching job, I got rid of the "I'm too busy" excuse. As I listen to God's voice telling me it will be okay, I stopped listening to the "I can't afford it" excuse. Anyway, you get the idea. As I watched the program, one idea became clear. "You are on the right path now, Cindy. Stay the course!" The TV program was a signpost!

The first signpost of the day was actually more profound, and much more focused on my life's calling. Several days ago, I was inspired by an idea for a children's picture book. A reoccurring phrase came to me, followed by tons of different thoughts that all fit this central theme. As the words flowed into my head (and I assure you they did flow as nothing in my writing has ever done before), it occurred to me that not only was it possible to make a book out of it, but if I worked it right I could make a whole series of children's books out of it! The possibilities excited me as I sat to write some of these thoughts down. Friday evening I actually typed some of them out on the computer. Saturday morning, I opened an email from my mom. As I watched the PowerPoint presentation from the email, I realized it was a signpost! The subject of the PowerPoint was the subject of my book! Even though it was not expressed like my book is starting to shape up, I got goosebumps as I realized that the subject matter is indeed relevant to people today. As I do not believe in coincidences, I knew this was indeed a signpost!

I don't claim to have all the answers for my life. The future is very blurry, and I still have no idea what lies down the road. I do believe it is time for me to write these stories down. I doesn't necessarily mean they will be immediately published and income had. My experience has taught me not to try to anticipate God's plans for my life. Nothing ever happens like I imagine it. The stories will be published in God's time and in His way. I just know it is time for me to write them. I found the signpost.

No comments:

Post a Comment