Monday, February 7, 2011

Got Problems?

I don't know anybody without some problems to deal with. Life is a series of highs and lows, and although we often strive for the highs the lows are inevitable. Society views problems as bad things. At times, we even look down on people with problems because we see them as not coping "correctly" with the situation. Within the past year, I have learned the truth about problems. The truth is, problems are good things!

One of my all time favorite quotes comes from Teilhard de Chardin:
     We are not human beings having a spiritual experience. We are spiritual beings having a human experience.
To understand this, it is important to define human and spiritual. I would define human as a being with inherent flaws, imperfections and weaknesses. I would define spiritual as those things relating to God and the divine. What de Chardin talks of is his view that we are not imperfect beings looking for perfection. We are perfect beings looking to understand imperfection.

That's precisely what our human experience is all about. We are here to learn. We are here to understand. We are here to grow. Our journey on earth is not about attaining perfection. Our journey is about understanding the differences and contrasts so we are better able to understand ourselves and the whole.

When I look back I my life I realize one important fact: my problems have served me much better than my achievements. My problems have forced me to think, analyze, and get creative. Sometimes I have made the same mistake over and over again before getting it right. Over time, this has made me smarter, stronger and better. I don't get upset over my problems anymore. I ask myself, "What am I supposed to learn from all this?" Life is all about the learning, and I appreciate that.

No comments:

Post a Comment