Thursday, May 21, 2009

Sweeping the Dust

I spent the day cleaning out my classroom and helping my employer rearrange major pieces of furniture. It was quite exhausting (I have to admit I am sadly out of shape), but at the same time it was also exhilerating. There is something very rewarding about clearing out the dirt and grime and making a fresh start. Granted, the room won't be mine in the coming school year, but it feels good to know that the new teacher will come into something fresh.

Part of my job today was to help my boss pull up some old, nasty carpeting. The dust that accumulated under it could almost have filled up the room's sand table. (It made me wonder just how long that carpet had been there.) As I swept up the dirt, a sudden feeling of elation swept over me. The actions felt like a metaphor for my life--I was ridding myself of the dirt that had accummulated in my life and making room for something much more beautiful.

I still don't know exactly what I'm going to do with my life. I know my ultimate goal is to be a writer, but there are a few things I might also like to do along the way that would use other talents I have and add value to the world. I do know it is my time to try.

I am going to start by taking care of myself--physically, emotionally, mentally and spiritually. I'm going to eat better, take daily walks, and most importantly take time to listen. I need to reconnect with my Source (which I usually call God). I believe He has been there. My life has just been so crazy lately that I can't hear Him clearly. Hopefully, when I take the time to be silent, I will hear Him leading me.

This is my chance to clear out the dirt of my life, and I am taking full advantage of it. I have already asked. He has said, "Seek and ye shall find. Knock and it shall be opened. Ask and ye shall receive." In the next few months, I am fully expecting to find His answer for my life, and I am finally willing to walk through those doors He opens for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment