Friday, May 29, 2009

Preparing For Rain

Atlanta has been in a drought for the past couple of years. My life also has been in drought as I struggle to find some direction and purpose in life. Lately, Georgia has received enough rain for Lake Lanier, the main source of water for metropolitan Atlanta, to fill back up to almost normal levels. As I search for purpose and get closer to Source, I feel a little of that life-giving water misting on me. I know I need to prepare for rain.


In the movie Facing the Giants, coach Grant Taylor's life has hit rock bottom. He prays to God to show him the direction he needs to take in his life. Enter Mr. Bridges, a deeply spiritual man who has been praying for years that revival hit the small Christian school. Mr. Bridges quotes from Revelation 3:8. "I know thy works: behold, I have set before thee an open door, and no man can shut it: for thou hast a little strength, and hast kept my word, and hast not denied my name." He goes on to tell the coach God wants him to bloom where he has been planted. When Coach Grant confesses he has been struggling in his life and is unsure about what to do, Mr. Bridges shares a story of two farmers struggling with drought. Both pray for rain, but only one farmer prepares his fields for the blessing. Mr. Bridges leaves Coach Taylor with the question, "Which farmer do you think receives the rain?"


The point is, a person can have faith that something can happen. He might even believe that it will happen. However, if he does not follow it up with action, any rain that comes will not have the same impact. The blessings will not be as great, and much time will be wasted.


I need to prepare for rain. I have asked for God's direction and blessings in my life and I fully expect Him to come through. Now I need to make myself ready for the challenges this rain will bring me.


First of all, I need to prepare a new resume. I need to highlight all the experience I have working with people--teaching, guiding, directing. I need to be able to show the right employer why I would be perfect for such a job.

I also need to get my materials ready. For example, one of my areas of expertise is how to love other people. I do my best to show this love through everything I do. While I am by no means perfect at it and have times when I fall, I know that I can help people learn to bring more of it into their own lives. I can give them ideas to ponder and hopefully the fuel they need to remake and re-engergize themselves into something better. My goal is to start working on my materials so that when the opportunity presents itself I am ready to go.


I am believing my guidance. I will be prepared when God blesses me with rain.

No comments:

Post a Comment