Saturday, January 1, 2011

Cleaning the Clutter

Clutter and disorganization are two very big problems I have. It seems I just keep accumulating more and more stuff which keeps piling up, and I am afraid to get rid of it for fear of needing it in the future. Still, I often think there is more to it than meets the eye. What am I really afraid to let go of?

On many levels, objects can be comforting. They represent having enough. They represent security. Unconsciously, we may believe that if we have enough we won't have to worry anymore. Even more important for me personally, I don't always feel I can trust the Universe to provide me with what I need when I need it. Saving things for a "rainy day" has always been my way of coping with the fear of not having enough.

Still, when I look back at my life, I know I have always received what I needed (although sometimes just in the nick of time!). At many times and in many ways, I have been greatly blessed. What has been most uncomfortable about the process is the transition--the change. There is always a point of wondering what is going to happen and being unsure of the new things taking place. When we don't know the exact outcome, there is always room for doubt. It is part of the growth process, but it is not easy.

During New Year's, we have a tendency to focus on the changes we need to make in the coming year. Change is the key word. It's time for me to change. It's time to let go of those things which are holding me back from the blessings life has to offer. Time to clean out the clutter. I'm taking a deep breath...and letting go.

No comments:

Post a Comment