Sunday, January 16, 2011

Excuses! Excuses!

I've been listening to a lot of different excuses lately. I can remember a time in my recent past when I spent a great deal of time making up my own excuses for the problems in my life. The thing is, excuses are used to justify inaction, and I'm tired of inaction. If I truly am a powerful co-creator of my life, it's time to get on with it!

For years, I've used my daughter as an excuse. Even though she is beautiful, smart and musically talented, she is also needy, temperamental and impulsive. I've spent a large portion of my parenting years trying to help her fit in while at the same time keeping the peace between her and her brothers. I have spent way too much time lamenting the fact she will probably never be "normal". It is only been within the past year I have begun to accept my daughter for who she is and the gift she is to me. Because her teen years have been particularly tumultuous, I have learned to ask different sorts of questions. In the process, truths have been revealed to me which I never would have seen had I not been forced to ask some very difficult (and even painful) questions.

What I have discovered is this: we invite and allow our own "tough experiences" into our lives in an effort to help us learn and grow. When we use these experiences to play the victim, we are denying ourselves the gifts the experience has for us. It is only when we ask different questions and look at the situation from other perspectives that we gain more insight into truth.

The next time you are confronted by the problems in life, choose to take the high road. Don't make excuses and deny yourself the opportunity for new understanding. Ask yourself the ultimate question: What am I supposed to learn from all this? The answer will surprise you. You will find yourself growing in unimaginable ways and leaving the excuses behind.

No comments:

Post a Comment