Friday, March 4, 2011

Divine Whispers

By my own personal definition, prayer is the act of asking the Divine for help and/or answers. Meditation, on the other hand, is the act of listening to the Divine. As far back as I can remember, I've always been good at praying. I also know I have a gift for saying very powerful prayers. What I'm not always good at is listening.

In the past few weeks, I have intentionally made it a point to listen. I sit in a quiet place (which usually means very early in the morning when everyone else is still in bed), and I do my best to empty my mind of all my thoughts, cares and concerns. It helps to have no agenda in mind--no preconceived ideas about how life in general (or my life specifically) should go. Basically, I let go of my will and search to replace it with the mind and will of God.

It isn't an easy task. There are so many thoughts that get in the way--so much mental clutter. It takes real control (and often a long time) to settle it all down and focus on the stillness within. I will say this: it does get easier the more you practice and it is definitely worth it in the end.

It is in the quiet where the Divine whispers to you. Thoughts come in this quiet place. Sometimes they relate to your life in some specific way. Sometimes they relate to your world in general. Regardless, all Divine whisperings are important because they give insight and direction.

As I learn to hear these Divine whisperings and follow this guidance, my life moves forth in very powerful ways. Empty places the world has gouged out begin to fill back up. I overflow with an infinite love and peace. I am no longer an individual acting alone, but am part of a much bigger movement of Wholeness, of Oneness. It is from those Divine whispers I learn to connect with all that Is.

No comments:

Post a Comment