Wednesday, March 9, 2011

To Trust In Man (Part 15)

Author's note: The following post is part of a series dealing with my experiences in the Jeffrey Lundgren cult and what I learned from those experiences. My hope is that my story will teach others the importance of listening to the voice of God within for their answers. Peace. cse

Escape

By late fall of 1987, Brian and I were planning the move back to Iowa. It was a rough time for me as I was leaving behind some good friends not to mention my dream of helping to bring about Zion, God's kingdom on earth. I spent as much time as I could with Jeff Lundgren and his followers, participating in the scripture studies and social events now being held at the farmhouse.

At some point before I left, I was able to ask Jeff for more specifics on what would happen to begin the process of Zion. Jeff began to talk to me about the need to take over the Kirtland Temple and much of the land surrounding it before the inevitable worldwide earthquake. He indicated to me at this time it would involve a show of force by the group--that they would have to invade homes and actually kill people. He pointed out part of the reason he made the men watch the "Faces of Death" video was to get them used to seeing dead people.

In what was probably the only sane moment I had in my last days with Jeff's group, my gut instinct was, "I'm so glad I'm not going to be around for that." I was all set to go back to Iowa and get a job while Brian went back to finish up his degree. Once I heard Jeff's plan, I was filled with fear. Looking back, I now understand my "sane moment" was the voice of God speaking loudly and plainly to me.

Our plan was to spend Christmas with my parents, who had moved back to my hometown of Dayton, Ohio, and then proceed on to Iowa so Brian could finish school. When Brian and I finally made our escape, I was filled with relief, although I did not fully understand or appreciate those feelings at the time.

The story continues: http://cocoontobutterfly.blogspot.com/2011/03/to-trust-in-man-part-16.html .


*(For more information on this incident, one of the best books written is Prophet of Death. the Mormon Blood-Atonement Killings by Pete Earley. It's very detailed and uncomfortably graphic, but he did his research well. Earley gets to the heart of why Jeff and his followers acted as they did, without bias. Also, A&E did a segment of their show American Justice on this topic: American Justice: The Cult Murders.)

No comments:

Post a Comment